For Athena - Adh'isa

Illustrating Universes Known and Imagined

Moderator: Moderators

rocketscientist

For Athena - Adh'isa

Post by rocketscientist »

In the art gallery I posted an image of the young Adh'isa that I did a long time ago for Athena when she wasn't feeling so well. I gave up on it because I feared it wasn't especially uplifting at that time for her but as I'm a lover of dramatic scenes it always lingered in my head, as well as my hard drive.

http://www.starshipnivan.com/gallery/ma ... itemId=496
Last edited by rocketscientist on Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Windwalker
Site Admin

Post by Windwalker »

Dear friend, I remember the first version of this marvelous piece and the occasion, too: a wonderful birthday present two weeks before my operation.

This captures the moment exactly -- spare, stark, eloquent. The mood reminds me of Princess Mononoke, perhaps because I always thought of Adh'isa as the equivalent of the Shishigami. The style is a marvelous fusion of Japanese zen-style and pre-Raphaelite art nouveau (a hint of Millais' Ophelia in the composition?).

Now that this is in the gallery in finished form, I can say, as did Adh'isa himself in the moment you captured: “Éri adá’ir, Parédh'is Keténi!” But for a very different reason.

*happy sigh*
For I come from an ardent race
That has subsisted on defiance and visions.

rocketscientist

I can't even say how glad I am that the circumstances are so different then when I first sketched this!

An Ophelia most definitely is present as Millais is one of my favorite Pre-Raphaelite painters.

*heart*

intrigued_scribe

Post by intrigued_scribe »

This is absolutely gorgeous! You've once more captured the essence of Adh'isa perfectly, and the emotional atmosphere of this simply resonates. Beautiful work. :D

rocketscientist

Thank you!